Huron, SD, USA

Welcome to Huron - New Residents Guide

It is our sincere pleasure to welcome you to the community of Huron, South Dakota! To make your transition to living in our quaint, hospitable town as easy as can be, we’ve come up with a New Residents Guide chalk full of information ranging from utility hook-ups and cable/internet connections to pet licensing, voting, and more. Please see our list of frequently asked questions below!

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I turn on utilities at my residence?

Water/Sewer/Garbage Service

is administered by the city. A minimum deposit of $100.00 and photo ID is required for all new residential customers. Applicants must be age 18 or older. Contact the Utility Billing Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, (605) 353-8504 for further details.

Electricity & Natural Gas Service

is administered by NorthWestern Energy - (605) 352-8411, or Dakota Energy Cooperative - (605) 352-8591

Telephone/Cable/Internet Service

may be provided by any of the following:
Midcontinent Communciations 1-800-888-1300
Century Link 1-800-244-1111
Santel Communications 1-888-978-7777
Direct.TV 1-877-644-1928

What About Taxes?

South Dakota does not have a personal or corporate income tax, nor does it have an inventory tax. Real property for businesses and non-businesses are taxed at the same rate with the appropriate levy being based on valuation. Property taxes are paid at the Beadle County Courthouse-Treasurers Office -  445 4th St SW and are due semi-annually by April 30th & October 31st The City of Huron has a 2% sales tax plus an additional 1% on hotel/motel, restaurant, and liquor establishments. The state's sales tax is 4.5%.

Where do I register to vote?

You may register at any of the following locations:

  • Beadle County Auditor's Office, 445 4th Street SW, Huron, SD
  • City Finance Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, Huron, SD

Registration Application

Where do I vote?

The Huron Arena, 100 4th Street SW has been designated as Huron’s Super Precinct for residents residing within city limits.

Where do I get driver’s license information?

  • The Center Plaza, 289 Dakota Avenue South, Suite 5
  • 7:00am to 5:30pm (Applications accepted until 4:30 pm)
  • Thursdays & Fridays
  • Also Open 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays

For further information please call 1-800-952-3696 or access the SD Driver Licensing Program website.

Who do I contact for garbage service?

The city provides each residence with a 60 or 90 gallon brown container for once-per-week garbage collection. If this can is lost, stolen, or destroyed, a replacement container must be purchased by the resident or home owner. Your utility bill stub may be used each month for one free load to the city’s rubble site for disposal of rubble, tree branches, or metal without Freon compressors. Contact the city Utility Billing Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, (605) 353-8504 for further details.

How do I dispose of my yard waste?

A green yard waste container is available for purchase from the city. There are no additional charges for yard waste collection which runs from May through October. These containers are owned by the purchaser, and may be taken with them when they move. Yard waste must be placed in the containers loose and un-bagged so that the lid can be closed completely. Containers must be placed out for collection in the same manner that the garbage containers are. Contact the city Utility Billing Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, (605) 353-8504 for further details.

Do I have to license my pets?

City ordinance requires pets to be licensed. Pet licenses may be obtained at the Beadle County Humane Society, 5063 Dakota Avenue S. Phone: (605) 352-8955. Pet licenses require current vaccination information.

Where do I license my pet?

Pet licenses are issued by the Beadle County Humane Society, 5063 Dakota Avenue S. Phone: (605) 352- 8955. All dogs and cats over the age of six months shall be licensed and registered annually before January 1st each year. Each license shall then be effective for a twelve-month period from January 1st through December 31st.

Before any dog or cat is licensed or registered, the owner is required to furnish the certificate of current vaccination issued by a licensed veterinarian certifying that the dog or cat for which the license is being issued is vaccinated for rabies. Registration records will show the owner's name and street address, the dog's or cat's name, breed and color, and the year for which the registration is paid.

A metallic tag will then be issued, and it is the owner’s responsibility to place the tag on a collar around the neck of such dog or cat.

How many pets can I have?

Any person engaged in keeping four or more dogs or cats of any species who are more than six months of age, for pleasure, profit, breeding, exhibiting, or for commercial business of boarding or trading for a fee on the premises needs to obtain a kennel license issued by the City Finance Office, (605) 353-8502.

Do I have to keep my pet on a leash?

Yes, pets must be kept on a leash. Animals are not permitted to run at large within the city. Any animal found at large may be impounded. “At large" means to be off the premises of the owner and not under the control of the owner or a competent person by leash. A dog or cat within an automobile of its owner shall be deemed upon its owner's property.

What types of animals are not allowed in city limits?

Except as provided by city ordinance 8.16.014, it is unlawful for any person, partnership, association or corporation to keep or harbor any horses, mules, cattle, sheep, goats, swine or fowl of any kind, within the city of Huron. Public auction rings, livestock commission houses, veterinary clinics and treatment facilities, locker plants and hatcheries may temporarily keep and hold any such animals or fowl for the purpose of sale, slaughter or treatment; and in addition the state of South Dakota fairgrounds shall be exempt from these provisions.

Who do I contact if I find a stray pet?

If you find a stray pet, please contact the Beadle County Humane Society, 5063 Dakota Avenue S. Phone: (605) 352-8955.

How do I find out about snow removal procedures?

When the city declares a Snow Alert, parking is prohibited on city streets until the snow is cleared from curb to curb. Usually a Snow Alert is issued once we have received 2” or more of snow; however, alerts are also based on weather conditions such as wind and ice, as well as the amount of additional snow forecasted, and city crews may begin removing snow from emergency routes before the alert is issued. The local news media will announce when a Snow Removal Alert has been declared. Snow Removal brochures are available at City Hall, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW (605) 353-8502. During the winter months snow removal procedures are scrolled on TV Channel 6. You may also call (605) 353-8501 for Snow Removal Updates.

Explore More Local Businesses

From churches to daycare providers, health care, law enforcement, and more, please visit the Huron Chamber of Commerce’s Business Directory, or find the category you’re looking for below.

Influencer & Builder Chamber Investors