Huron has a number of historic properties listed on the US Department of Interior, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places. The following files provide information about the seven properties that are individually listed on the National Register. The Pyle House is perhaps the best known of the individually listed historic properties.
In addition to seven individually listed historic properties, Huron also has a historic district that is listed on the National Register. Created in 1974, the Campbell Park Historic District of Huron is an irregularly shaped district including about seven square blocks of mostly residential properties located south of downtown. Campbell and Winter Parks are in the district as well as two prominent community churches and the Campbell Park band shell. As noted in the 2009 Reclassification of the district, there are 134 resources (primarily residences) built between 1880 and 1948 in the historic district. The majority of the houses (56) were built between 1900 and 1921. Predominant architectural styles in the district include Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and Bungaloid.
|Historic Properties||Location||National Nomination Form|
|Grace Episcopal Church (aka Stone Church)||68 Fourth Street SE||[PDF]|
|Hattie O. and Henry Drake Octagon House & Garage||605 Third Street SW||House [PDF]
|Pyle House||376 Idaho Avenue SE||[PDF]|
|C&NW RR Roundhouse & Shop||420 Commercial Ave SE||[PDF]|
|Dairy Building (aka Dakotaland Museum)||930 Third Street SW||[PDF]|
|Margaret & Vernon Maxon Lustron House||1305 McDonald Drive SW||[PDF]|
|Faye Bowden / Agnus Saunders Lustron House||669 Dakota Avenue N||[PDF]|
|Lustron Houses||South Dakota||[PDF]|
Campbell Park Historic District
Historic Preservation Links
- SD Office of History Website
- Sec. of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation Website
- Sec. of Interior’s Guidelines for Rehabilitation of Historic Buildings Website
- Sec. of Interior’s Standards for Treatment of Historic Properties Website
Historic Preservation Board
The Historic Preservation Board meets at 7:00pm on the 1st Tuesday of each month in the City Commission Meeting Room located in the Huron Municipal Building, 239 Wisconsin Avenue SW. Meetings are open to the public. The board works to promote the use and conservation of historic properties and help in the development of these properties for the education, inspiration and enrichment of the citizens of this city and this state.
Board members are:
- Allen Sager, Chairman
- Kelli McFarland, Vice Chair
- Rey Colon
- Mark Smith
- Ron Volesky
- Louise Van Poll
- Dick Freske
- Mark Robish, Commission Liaison
For further information about the Board please contact Planning Director Barry Cranston at (605) 353-8500.