The deadline for voter registration is 15 days before any election. Your registration card must be received by the County Auditor by this deadline to vote in the next election. Registration cards postmarked on the 15th day do not qualify as being received by the deadline.
Who Can Register?
- are a citizen of the United States
- are 18 years of age or older on the next election day
- are a resident of South Dakota
- are not under a sentence of imprisonment for any felony conviction
- have not been judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
You may register at any of the following locations
- Beadle County Auditor's Office, 445 4th Street SW, Huron, SD
- City Finance Office, 239 Wisconsin Ave SW, Huron, SD
- Download a registration application from the Secretary of State’s website.
In addition, you may register to vote at locations which provide the following services
- Driver's Licenses
- Food Stamps
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children
- Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program (WIC)
- Department of Human Services offices which provide assistance to the disabled
- Military Recruitment
Where Do I Vote?
The Huron Arena, 100 4th Street SW, has been designated as Huron’s Super Precinct for residents residing within city limits.
Where do I get an absentee ballot?
Absentee ballots are available for any registered voter who expects to be absent on the day of election and may be obtained through the mail or in person; a short application will need to be completed. For Municipal elections please contact the Finance Office at (605) 353-8502 or stop by the office at 239 Wisconsin Ave SW. For all other elections please contact the Beadle County Auditor at (605) 353-8400 or stop by the auditor’s office located in the Beadle County Courthouse, 445 4th Street SW.
Where do I get a petition to run for public office?
Nominating Petitions for Mayor and City Commissioner positions may be obtained from the Finance Office and must be filed with the Finance Director. Nominating Petitions for School Board positions may be obtained at the School Business Office located in the Huron Arena, 100 4th street SW. Petitions may also be found on the Secretary of State’s website.