How to Get a Library Card
Because the funding for the Huron Public Library is provided by the Huron City Government, residents of Huron are entitled to become a registered borrower of the Huron Public Library.
Residency will be determined by current driver's license and/or other ID. People living outside of the Huron City Limits may apply for the appropriate type of card as listed below.
Types of library cards
- Resident: People owning or renting property within the city limits of Huron may apply for a Huron Resident Library Card. There is no fee for this type of card.
- Non-residents of Huron may purchase a one year library card at the cost of $20.00 per year. A non-resident is a person who does not live within the Huron City Limits and who does not own property within the city limits. They must provide proof of address (driver’s license, piece of mail, etc.) when applying for their library card.
- Schools outside the Huron City Limits: outside of Huron City limits (except for Huron Colony and Riverside Colony which are operated under the Huron School system) will be issued for a fee. A school card for $20.00 per year may be purchased with a limit of 50 items charged to their card at one time. Materials may be checked out for seven weeks.
- Home Schoolers: have the same privileges as a school card. Those within the Huron City Limits are issued their card for free. Those outside of the Huron City Limits will pay the School Card fee. They may check out a limit of 50 items to their card at one time for a seven week check out period. The Library requires Home Schooler's to present a copy of their "application for Public School Exemption" annually. [Parents/guardians who currently provide alternative instruction pursuant to SDCL 13-27-3 are required to file an Application for Public School Exemption Certificate annually. http://doe.sd.gov/oatq/homeschooling.aspx
- College Students: who still list a Huron residence as a permanent residence may apply for a library card. Proof of class registration and/or tuition receipt must be presented, along with proof of permanent Huron residence. College Student cards are valid for 4 years.
- eCards: eCards are available to patrons who do not qualify for a full library card. An eCard will allow you to reserve and use internet computers and access electronic databases. To have the ability to check-out eBooks, the patron must pay $20 per year. A current photo ID such as a drivers' license or state ID card is all that is required to get an eCard. Anyone wishing to use computers must have either an eCard or a full-privileged library card. Computers for the library catalog will continue to be made available without a library card.