Register Now for Summer & Fall 2013 Classes
The Huron Community Campus (HCC) will continue to emphasize its two largest, most popular programs with our Associate’s Degree in General Studies and our Nursing Programs. We have also made several other options available in order for students to accomplish their educational goals.
- HCC is continuing its two-year Associate’s Degree in General Studies. All general studies courses will be offered through Northern State University at a cost of only $40 per credit hour. These same courses offered at other South Dakota public universities cost $289 per credit hour. HCC is providing five to six general studies classes each semester. This Summer HCC will be offering remedial math, reading, and English classes for those students who need them based on South Dakota Board of Regents testing. English 033 and Reading 041 will be offered May 28th-June 27th and Math 021 will be offered July 2nd-August 1. Classes will meet at the Campus Center from 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Class Schedule
- Registration Checklist
Intensive English Program to Continue During Summer 2013
Northern State University will again be offering an Intensive English Program (IEP) class worth four college credit hours. The mission of NSU’s program is to prepare students to participate and succeed in any academic degree program at the undergraduate or graduate level in a U.S. college or university. Anyone who wishes to improve their English skills is eligible. The days and times for this class are not yet determined. Remedial college credit is awarded from Northern State University upon completion of these credits.
Cost will be $40 per credit hour with a $10 per credit hour rental fee for a total of $200. There is no application fee, but applicants will need to fill out an application form.This class will run consecutive semesters. Students are welcome to take the class as often as they wish in order to improve their English skills. Interested students should contact Steve Ochsner at 353-8518 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested students do not need to pre-register. Prospective students should show up for the first class to register or to obtain additional information.
- The Dakota Wesleyan Nursing program leads to an Associate’s of Science degree in Nursing. This two-year and two-summer program has a consistent history of strong job placement and successful passing of the Nursing Boards.
Colleges and universities are offering more online programs every year. Online courses offer the convenience that face-to-face instruction cannot. However, face-to-face instruction provides much needed contact with the instructor, and students have a better chance of successfully completing these classes when compared to online courses.
Which is better? Why not take HCC’s face-to-face instructional courses while enrolled in an online program? The South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBOR) offer several online programs. A sampling of programs is listed below. Go to the SDBOR website for a complete list of current and future programs.. Take our classes at HCC while completing your online degree.
- Alcohol and Drug Studies
- Banking and Financial Services
- Business Administration – Management Specialization
- Business Management
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Health Information Administration
- Health Sciences
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- K-8 Elementary Education/K-12 Special Education
- Management Information Systems
- Paraprofessional Education
- Professional and Technical Communication
English as a New Language Endorsement
Huron Community Campus and Northern State University are continuing the English as a New Language Endorsement in Spring 2013. For more information, go to our Frequently Asked Questions section or our Application for Admission.
Intensive English Program
The Intensive English Program (IEP) is a credit-granting program designed for current and future college students whose primary language is not English. Classes are worth two or four credit hours and cost $40 per credit hour. The next class will begin February 2013.
Non-Credit Online Courses
Free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) allow students to learn from the most prestigious universities in the world. Introduction to Statistics, Software debugging, Applied Cryptography, Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering, Introduction to Guitar, Introduction to Computer Science, and Artificial Intelligence are some of more than two hundred courses offered. These courses are open to the public. For more information or to enroll, go to www.udacity.com, www.coursera.org, or www.edx.org. Students who show proof of enrollment are allowed to use HCC facilities and equipment to assist with these classes.
The Huron Community Campus/Fine Arts Center, located at 939 Ohio Ave SW, provides access to accredited post-secondary courses and certified technical training through the use of classrooms, video conferencing and the internet.
The Campus partners with local colleges and universities to provide Master’s, Bachelor’s, and Associate’s degrees in Huron. Other non-credit community education classes are offered throughout the year.
The Fine Arts Center has a theatre used by the Huron Arts Council, Huron Area Community Theatre, Huron Symphony Orchestra, and other groups for outstanding local productions.