Water & Sewer

Water and Sewer Rates

The City of Huron recently completed a study to determine the fair and equitable rate increases to support the financial needs of the Water and Sewer Departments.  A copy of the study can be requested through the Engineering Department.  The following are links to rate handouts which summarize the results of the study and the City’s anticipated rates through 2025.

General Water & Sewer Rate Brochure [PDF]

Industrial Water & Sewer Rate Brochure [PDF]

Sewer Problems

If you are having sewer problems, the city will check the city sewer main in your area. If the city main is working properly, you will need to contact a plumber. For emergency service during business hours, please call 353-8504; after business hours, please call the Police Department at 353-8550 and they will notify the appropriate city personnel.

Water Meter Problems

If you are having problems with your water meter, please contact the Water Billing Office at 353-8504 to schedule an appointment for a service technician to check the meter.

Water Quality Problems

If the water from your faucet appears discolored, the city may need to flush the hydrant near your home. This will help circulate the water in the line and will improve your water quality.

Water Quality Report [PDF]



Water Turned On or Off

If you need your water turned on or off, or have questions about your water bill, please contact the Water Billing Office at 353-8504.

Water-Sewer Department

Responsible for maintenance and repair of water & sewer lines, meter reading and compliance with all EPA water quality requirements.

Rob Rieger, Superintendent
252 Union Ave SW | PO Box 1369
Phone: (605) 353-8547
Fax: (605) 353-8506

Sewer Treatment
1280 9th St SE
Phone: (605) 353-8539
Fax: (605) 353-8506

Water Treatment
20938 396th Ave SW
Phone: (605) 353-8539
Fax: (605) 353-8506

Water/Sewer Maintenance
252 Union Ave SW
Phone: (605) 353-8547
Fax: (605) 353-8506

Emergency Service
During business hours, call 353-8504.
After hours, call the Huron Police Department at 353-8550.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can my sump pump hose be hooked to the sewer pipes in my home?
No, sump pumps must drain outside to the storm sewer in the street.
Can my sump pit be hooked to my floor drain?
No, sump pits should have a sump pump installed and pumped to the storm sewer out in the street, they cannot be connected to the floor drain or sanitary sewer. If you have any questions about what you can drain into the sanitary or storm sewer please contact us.
Can I pour old out dated household cleaners down the drain?
No, old out dated household cleaners should be taken to a hazardous collection site.
Can I pour grease from my frying pan or deep fat fryer down the drain?
No, grease should be collected and taken to the Landfill for proper disposal. If poured down the drain the sewer lines will become plugged with the grease.
Can I put a drain in my garage?
Yes as long as you install an oil and sand interceptor to collect the oil and sand that may be washed down the drain.
Who is responsible to repair pipes and fixtures?
Ordinance No. 21.08.110 Owner responsible for pipes and fixtures. The water department will not be responsible for pipes and fixtures. All owners must, at their own expense, keep their service pipe from the point of connection with the city water mains to their premises and all other apparatus in good working order and properly protected from frost and other danger. No claim shall be made against the city by reason of the breaking of any of the service pipes or apparatus or from any other damage that may result from shutting off water for repairing or any other purpose. No reduction will be made from regular rates because of leaking pipes, fixtures or breakage.
What happens if the property owner fails to repair their service line?
Ordinance No. 21.08.180 Failure to repair private service line. In case of a leak in any private service line, the property owner must initiate the repair of said service line within five days after notice to repair same, said notice given by an authorized employee of the water department, and if no action is taken to repair said service line after notification by the said water department employee, the water service will either be repaired or ordered repaired by the water department, with full charges made to the property owner, or discontinue service there to for nonpayment of repairs.

Website Powered By PageFramer, Development By Robert Sharp & Associates