Inspection & Planning

Rental Housing Provisions & Fees

Effective April 1, 2013 the City of Huron enforced Rental Housing Provisions and Application & Fees. Questions may be directed to the City Inspection Office at 353-8512.


The city's Inspections Department is responsible for issuing building permits & monitoring the progress of residential and commercial building projects to insure compliance with adopted codes and standards. Inspects all Business within the city requiring grease traps. Performs health inspections of homes and rental property, if requested.


The City Planner is the staff member primarily responsible for the administration of the City Zoning Ordinance and the Huron Comprehensive Plan. In the areas of planning and zoning the planner is responsible to handle requests and questions regarding future planning, permitted land uses, required landscaping, site development, preliminary and final plats and required parking. The Planner assists with questions and applications for variances, conditional use permits and home occupations. The Planner assists the City Engineer in administration of the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance and the Subdivision Ordinance.

The Planner is responsible to ensure that the Zoning Ordinance and Comprehensive Plan are accurate and current.

The City Planner is the primary staff person for the City Planning Commission and the Huron Board of Historic Preservation.

Code Enforcement

The inspections office will receive and investigate all nuisances properly submitted either by phone or letter. We must ask for a correct address, area of the property where the infraction is located (front, back, side yard, or boulevard). The complaint will be verified and the property owner or occupant will be notified ONCE A SEASON by phone call, letter, or by posting the property with the specified time to rectify the infraction. If the problem has not been rectified in the allotted time, the inspections office will make all arrangements to abate the nuisance. Costs plus a graduated non-compliance fee of $50-$200 will be billed to the property owner. Payment of non-compliance fees will be arranged through the City Finance Office. You may appeal the inspection officer’s determination by contacting the City Finance Office in writing within 10 days of the posting.

Click here to access online building permits and code enforcement


Inspections & Planning

239 Wisconsin Ave SW | PO Box 1369
Huron, SD 57350

Chris Newman, Inspector

Phone: (605) 353-8512
Fax: (605) 353-8511

Mike Harrison
Code Enforcement Officer

Phone: (605) 353-8512
Fax: (605) 353-8511

Barry Cranston, Planning Director

Phone: (605) 353-8500
Fax: (605) 353-8506


The following services are offered in the Planning Office. Please contact the City Planner if you have questions or need further information.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I need a building permit?
Building permits are required for all new construction, structural changes, remodeling, fences, sheds, residing, reroofing (both commercial and residential), water heater replacement, HVAC installation, lawn sprinkler installation, etc. Please contact the city’s Inspections Department for further information (605) 353-8512.
I want to work out of my home—do I need a permit?
The City of Huron recognizes that certain limited businesses are traditional and appropriate in residential areas. To find out if you need a permit to work out of your home contact the Inspection’s Office at (605) 353-8512 or view the city's ordinances pertaining to Home Occupation Permits.
My neighbor isn’t mowing their lawn, who do I contact?
Call the Code Enforcement Officer at (605) 353-8512 to report nuisances including but not limited to unmowed grass, lack of snow removal from sidewalks, accumulation of junk/garbage, etc. Please provide the address/location of the nuisance.

Website Powered By PageFramer, Development By Robert Sharp & Associates